History of Streetsville
In 1818 the last remaining tract along the banks of the Credit River was ceded to the British Government.
Timothy Street, a resident of Niagara Township, was given the task of surveying the final acquisition. In return, Mr. Street was granted 1,000 acres of land in the new township and in 1824 this area became known as Streetsville.
The backbone of the new community was it's five major mill sites located along a five mile mile stretch of the fast flowing Credit. By 1850 Streetsville was recognized as "Queen of the County".
Timothy Street built a home for his family near his mill site in 1825. It still stands on the banks of the Credit River and is part of a concerted effort by the merchants and residents of Streetsville to ensure the heritage of the village remains evident in everyday life. It is this balance of historical reverence and the exciting array of present-day retail shops and services that make Streetsville the original and most inviting Village in the City of Mississauga.